Today is the day that K's pacifiers aka "nigh-nights" are going away for good. It is just time. Currently she is only allowed to have them for sleep times, in the car if it is close to a sleep time and sometimes at church. But she asks for them CONSTANTLY. She is definitely an addict:) Anyway who has been around K for very long has heard her calling for her nigh-nights at some point:)
Two weeks beforehand, we started planning. First we picked out a timeframe where we would not be doing any traveling or have any major plans that may keep us out late at night (missing the crucial preferred bedtime hour). We started prepping K for the transition. We would remind her that she was a big girl and soon, she would not need a nigh-night anymore. A few days before, I took her shopping for a new sleep buddy. She got to pick out her very own duck and seemed very excited to get to sleep with it:) I-man got an identical one too:)
A few days before, we went over the scenario with her: The garbage man was coming on Wednesday and K was going to be a big girl and throw all her nigh-nights in. And the garbage man was going to take them to some babies if they needed them (we tried to emphasize the IF part so we are not totally lying to our child). And then KK would start sleeping with her duck and be such a big girl!
Last night with the Pacifier (looks like a Mugshot!)
I actually cut the tips of 2 of the pacifiers in her bed that night (she sleeps with 3, one in her mouth and one in each hand, and she rotates them constantly:)
The next morning we announced it was time to take out the trash, something the kids frequently help Josh with. We got out the camera and made a big production of giving KK her 3 nigh-nights and throwing them into the trashcan. We all clapped, and I-man yelled "Yeah KK!" Here is the procession (please pardon her mother....it was VERY early in the morning):
Such a big girl!
A few hours later, we sat outside when we heard the garbage man coming. KK was a little sad but she held it together very well. We waved and K said "Bye-bye nigh-nights. Love you!" So sweet! I will admit, I was actually very sad too. Those pacifiers were some of my best friends too! And it meant my baby was definitely not a baby anymore.
K did great all day. We talked A LOT about how she threw her nigh-nights away and was such a big girl. Then came nap time. As I expected she screamed when it was time to go to bed which never happens. She ended up crying for 30 minutes before I went in her room. I couldn't calm her down. I ended up laying beside her pack n play and she fell asleep in minutes. She only slept for one hour and then layed with me for 30 more minutes. Generally, she naps 2-3 hours.
On to bedtime.......she goes to bed with her duck in the same routine we have done forever. She lays down, talks with I-man for a little while and goes to sleep with NO crying!! The next day, no crying for naptime and she slept for 3 hours!
A week later, she has yet to cry going down for any naps or bedtimes AND has not even asked for a nigh-night one time. She talks about them a lot but very matter-of-factly. She is much more pleasant and has been in a great mood ever since. We are amazed!! God definitely answered a lot of prayers for this transition and we are so thankful!
SO wonderful to hear!! Praise the LORD! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWe think of you often! May the LORD Continue to Bless you and Keep you!